Tuesday 4 November 2008

Oooh, a poem...yay

Ok, so this is a poem called 'War Torn' that I wrote back in May, when I was doing My A Level in English Lit, we had to study war poems and I got a tad inspired by it all, especially Brittain and Sassoon, which I hope comes through.
Enjoy :)

Give me brave warfare that I can lead into
Give me another face to forget
Give me the sounds of their men slowly dying.
And tell me "you've seen nothing yet".


Give me the rounds of artillery passing
Give me the shrieks as the shells shutter by
Give me the wreaths of the barbed wire glinting
And tell me again not to cry

Give me the lies that will keep my men fighting
Give me the gallant cry "Justice for all!"
Give me the hand of a soldier, lay shaking,
Curled tight in a quivering ball

Give me camaraderie, bravery, honesty
Give me a reason to have my blood shed
Give me a reason to cut short my lifetime
And I'll gladly and boldly drop dead

Give me the strength to go on seeing daily
What people back home think is done by the lord
Give me my life back, my family, my freedom
I'd rather be home, safe, than dying adored.

Feedback is more than welcome, I'd love to hear what people think :)

No comments: