Wednesday 5 November 2008

it pays to have mates who are blokes

all my life i have gotten on better with boys than i have girls. my first best friends were 2 boys called Ross and Daniel and we would all run around playing either Alien (like the movie), Predator (again like the movie) or star wars, and it depended what mood we were in as to which film we played- we often chose Episode 6- Return of the Jedi simply because our playground looked a little bit like Endor and our head teacher like jabba the hut :)

I'm not entirely sure why, but it think its something to do with the fact i was bullied for ages, by girls (oh yeah, here comes a sob story). Because no girls wanted to hang out with me when i was younger i hung out with the lads, occasionally playing football, occasionally being princess Leia or Ripley (on one memorable occasion doing all three). and it was great. and most of the time the lads helped me out when the girls were picking on me :)

but the older i got the more i found that far more of my Friends, especially my closest ones, were boys. don't get e wrong i had friend who were girls, but they were more like (for want of a better word) associates than mates. I started to realise that boys, in general, got my sense of humour more, and that they didn't mind the fact i wasn't interested in make up or clothes particularly; if anything they celebrated it. they like that i loved making an idiot out of myself, and they weren't too embarrassed to go into beccles wearing ski goggles, brandishing disposable cameras and having competitions to see who could get the most pictures of the woman in bakers oven who had a moustache.

when i came to uni i was terrified when i found out I'd be living with 4 other girls, who are all VERY pretty, very confident and all well aware of what sex and the city was and how to use liquid eyeliner (i still end up looking like Robert smith by the way- the idea baffles me), whilst having no idea who Simon Pegg is and having never watched doctor who. Don't get me wrong- the girls ARE FAB, and i love them all to bits but there was no one who quite fully got my outlandish sense of humour or anything.

so i count myself lucky to have found a few Lads who i now consider to be a good mates of mine, who get my jokes and help me out when I'm confuddled

especially one of them, who is quickly turning out to be quite the legend :)

No comments: