Saturday 28 August 2010

A conversation on [with] my phone

(Sat at the table on Bob the laptop, desperately trying to be sociable. My phone is next to me, plugged in and charging, when it suddenly starts to buzz)

Me: OHH YEAAAH textual messages. I'm so popular right now. (I look at the phone. the screen is blank) Ah what?
Phone: Oh, er, jeez, this is awkward...
Me: Where's the text, phone?
Phone: Yeah, er, you haven't actually got one?
Me: But-
Phone: Yeeah, that noise, the *Bzzzzz* situation? It's just to let you know i'm fully charged.
Me: Oh.
Phone: Yeah.
Me: So...no one actually texted me?
Phone: Yeah. But that's not to say-
Me: So no one wants to talk to me?
Phone: Now, come on i didn't say that-
Me: No, what you said was perfectly clear, actually.
Phone: HEY. that's not fair. I just thought i'd let you know i was charged, it wasn't meant to be a-
Me: OH YEAH RIGHT!! You always do this, you always say that you're trying to help me out, when all you're doing is...getting my hopes up.
Phone: I do NOT do it on purpose! How dare yo-
Me (muttering): This is EXACTLY like last week with all those messages from Vodafone.
Phone: OH. OH i cannot believe you brought that up AGAIN. That wasn't my fault!
Me: You didn't have to sound so eager every time!! here i am, sitting here, bored and lonely and you're all "Hey, Amy, Guess who wants to talk to you? NO ONE!! just some multi-million corporation looking to squeeze another £5 out of you!"
Phone: We've spoken about this. I had no choice, i'm just doing my job-
Me: Yeah, i get it- 'you were only doing your job'
Phone: Listen, it's not my fault your friends don't like talking to you, ALRIGHT??
Me:...I can't believe you just said that.
(Silence. I pick up my phone and go to press the 'off' button)
Phone: Now.. No, Amy, come on... don't be like tha- AMY! DON'T!
(I switch my phone off)
------
(5 minutes later)
Phone: Switched me back on, then?
Me: Yeah, i realised i couldn't go on Snaptu if you were off.

....

You know sometimes i actually worry my head is so far elsewhere no one else will find it.
xXx

No comments: