Tuesday 29 June 2010

Does it offend you, yeah?*

Walking back from Jack's today- after having had a simply fantasmagical time with Katie, playing Little Big Planet for the first time and falling in love and then reminiscing with a little Crash Team racing (By far THE greatest racing game of all time) - I came to a pedestrian crossing where an old man was stood waiting. I noticed he hadn't yet pushed the button so i pushed it for the pair of us, to which he turned, smiled thankfully and then mouthed 'thank you' because i was listening to music at the time and had my headphones in.

I like most of the old people in Beccles- and believe me, there are enough to develop opinions of- and so i always try my hardest to come across nice, polite, and throw a smile their way. Some of them are weird and pervy, with lumps appearing in places on their body where there should be no lumps, and smells emitting from places there should be no smells, but the majority of them are lovely company and worth giving a helping hand.

Which is why i was so stunned with what happened next. We'd been stood waiting for the little man to go green for about 20 seconds, when all of a sudden the old man turned, open mouthed with a complete look of disgust on his face and shook his head-AT ME. After double taking a little i looked back at him, equally stunned, and pointed to myself with a questioning look. He shook his head, said something that looked a lot like the words "Completely disgusting behaviour", and shuffled off as the little man turned green. As we reached the other side of the road he looked back over his shoulder, looking totally disappointed in me, before walking away.

I was horrified. How i had caused him to react that way was beyond me, but i couldn't help but feel i'd just upset my Grandad. I shook it off, and walked the rest of the way home.

When i got home and walked into the living room my Ma, sat on the sofa on the other side of the room, started miming, telling me to take out my headphones. I did so, to which she then said "Christ, Amy, how loud is your music?? I could hear every word of that". I looked down at my headphones, blaring "Heaven knows I'm miserable now" ...

Then it hit me;

If Ma, on the other side of the room, could hear my music then the old man stood right next to me at the traffic lights must've been able to hear it.The song i had been listening to at the time was 'Reckless Abandon' by Blink 182, which includes the lines "Trying hard to not get caught/ He fucked a chick in a parking lot", and I realised that the old man must've heard those lines of the song whilst stood next to me, hence the reason why he walked away huffy and disappointed.

Whilst i remain cringing, i can't help but think that somewhere in the world Travis Barker, Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus are smiling...

xXx

*I actually hate this band, but thought the title was good . LOLZ.

No comments: