Saturday 10 July 2010

Stealing

(Behind the Customer Services Desk. A scruffy looking lady appears, waving 6 lottery tickets at me)
Lady: Check these.
Me: Er, yeah, ok.
(I check the tickets. none are winners)
Me: Yeah, sorry, none of these are winners i'm afraid.
Lady: What?
Me: None of them are winning tickets, madam, i'm sorry
Lady: (Looks me up and down suspiciously) Really?
Me: Uh-huh.
(there is a silence as the woman looks to her tickets i'm now holding out to her, to me and then to the machine)
Lady:Check them again.
Me:...I'm sorry?
Lady:(Getting annoyed) Check them, but let me see the machine whilst you're doing it.
Me: (thinking 'THE F-') Right. Ok, er, if you'd like to come over here you can see the machine from there...
(She positions herself so that her trolley blocks all the other shoppers)
Tom: Er, excuse me madam, would you mind moving-
Lady: (irate) Oh for the love of god!!!
(She slams her trolley against the desk, knocking over the displays. She then turns to me at the machine)
Lady: DO IT!
(I check the tickets in-front of her, showing her each time that they're not a winner)
Me: See? I'm sorry. Would you like me to throw them away?
Lady: (Sighs noisily) Well, I suppose you better bloody throw them away if they're useless, hmm?
(I walk back over to my till to try and sort out the massive queue now forming. The woman moves over in-front of my till again)
Me: I'm sorry, madam, had you not finished?
Lady: Do it now.
Me; I...I don't understand-
Lady: Rip them up, one by one, in-front of me so i know you've done it.
(I look at her incredulously)
Me: I'm sorry, i will get rid of them, i just really need to sort this-
Lady: Oh for god's BLOODY SAKE just DO IT NOW!!!
(I hastily tear up the tickets and throw them away, scowling)
Me: Will that be-
Lady: Now hang on-
Me:(Sternly)Will That Be ALL, Madam?
( The woman walks in a huff. all the other customers looked relieved. Tom High-fives me)
xXx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Air high five, the customer is not always right! People are infuriating! I always get that one customer like that, there was a woman who spent 4 hours in the changing room putting crap everywhere then spent half an hour trying to convince me to give her a discount in a whiny voice like a child who was told she couldn't have icecream. I don't know how they get such an un-naturally profound sense of entitlement! xxx